Thursday, June 23, 2005

Anti-Abortion, Anti-Choice

When I converted, I disliked abortion but felt I had to remain Pro-Choice in case of someone feeling conscientiously that abortion was indicated in their circumstance. This isn't the same as the "Cuomo Doctrine," ie, 'Personally opposed but can't impose beliefs on others.' It has more to do with reluctant abortions. I also disliked (and still do) the absolutist rhetoric of outspoken Anti-Abortionists, and the violence and invasion of privacy some of them are prone to.

Orthodoxy is traditionally Anti-Abortion, no ifs, ands, or buts. I obviously didn't let that stop me from converting. But as time went on, I came to feel that it was not seemly for the Christian Church to endorse allowing for abortion under any circumstances, and I came to identify myself with that personally as well.

Now I favor an Anti-Abortion amendment to the U.S. constitution. And as a political "liberal" against abortion, I also favor a social safety system under which people wouldn't feel the need to seek abortion in the first place. IOW, "Life" doesn't end at birth!

I still wrestle with the idea of abortion being the worst possible crime or sin. They say there've been 45 million abortions in the USA since Roe v. Wade, but I look at the billions killed or threatened by environmental degradation worldwide too. So I align myself with Democrats for Life.

Not to get political....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home