Saturday, July 16, 2005

Orthodoxy in the Old Testament

See Job 42:7-8 (NAB):

...the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, "I am angry with you and with your two friends; for you have not spoken rightly concerning me, as has my servant Job. Now, therefore, take seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up a holocaust for yourselves; and let my servant Job pray for you; for his prayer I will accept, not to punish you severely. For you have not spoken rightly concerning me, as has my servant Job."

To speak rightly concerning the Lord - as anyone else - is to honor Him. In His case, it's worship. To speak wrongly of the Lord - as anyone else - is to dishonor Him. And as Romanides said, right words come from, and tend towards, the experience of Glorification, energetic union with God. Wrong words don't, and may even lead away from it.

Who wants to risk philosophizing?

Right doctrine. Right worship. Right glory.

The Orthodox Church commemorates the Holy Prophet and Patriarch Job the Much-Suffering on May 6.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home